Oxford launched new scholarship for indian law students
The biggest university in the world, Oxford University, London has started a scholarship program for the Indian Law students. The Somerville college principal has recently stated that Indian students who are willing to study law in under Oxford but unable to take up the course due to heavy course fees will now be able to study here as 50% of the course fees will be borne by the college itself. In a recent event the principal has told the media that this initiative will encourage more students, especially female students to enrol in Somerville College where a legend Cornelia Sorabji, the first Indian Law graduate from Somerville College used to study with former Prime Minister of India Late Indira Gandhi.
Scholarship in Somerville College
- The scholarship has been started to give tribute to the ace lady Cornelia Sorabji, who was the first Indian female graduate in Law from the same college in the year 1889. She was also the first Indian woman who had studied under British university.
- The scholarship program has initiated to encourage other Indian female students to fit into Cornelia Sorabji’s shoes by providing them Law Degree from one of the leading universities in the world.
- This year Somerville College is witnessing 150 years of celebration. On this occasion the authority and the Principal has announced the program. Already a female student from Chandigarh has received the scholarship this year.
- On the other, along with this scholarship the institution is also planning to endow with fully-funded so that they can encourage more and more Indian talents to bloom. Every year a bunch of Indian students apply for the courses and get selected, but due to high fees they are unable to take admission.
- The cost of the Law course is 36, 000 GBP in total. This includes course fee, tuition fee and hostel fee. The college will bear the 50% of the cost that is the student will have to 18, 000 GBP instead to pursuit the course.
How to get the Scholarship
- To get the scholarship in Somerville College, the students need to show their academic knowledge and merit. The selection will be done on the basis of merit and knowledge of the student at the first phase.
- On the second phase the selected students will have to write an essay of 500 words on the future plans of the students and how she will use the law degree from Oxford University in her career in future.
Students who have got the scholarship
Divya Sharma from Chandigarh has got admission in Bachelor of Civil Law aka BCL course this year. Already 6 students since 2013 have received this scholarship.