Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojana in Madhya Pradesh
One of the major problem in the Indian society is the inequality that prevails in gender. There are still many families who feel that having a girl is a burden because they have to be married and that includes a lot of expenses. There are many social problems that arise due to this. Even though this thought is wrong, one important fact is that there are certain poor families who really do not have the money to organize a marriage ceremony for their daughters. So the Madhya Pradesh Government had stared the Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojana in Madhya Pradesh in the year 2006.
|S.No||Things Need to know about the Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojana||Detailed Information|
|1||Scheme Name||Mukhyamantri Kanya Vivah Yojana|
|2||State in which the Scheme gets Established||Madhya Pradesh|
|3||Scheme Launched on||April Month of 2016|
|4||Under this scheme amount distributed in form of cheque to the Beneficiaries on the spot||Rs. 17,000|
|5||Total amount offered for bride under this scheme||Rs.25,000|
Under this scheme the Madhya Pradesh government provides financial support to the families that have girls who have attained the age of marriage.
Objective of the scheme
The main objective of the scheme is to provide financial help to the families of Madhya Pradesh that are poor and do not have the financial capability to marry off their daughters. There are many such families in the state that require some support for marring their daughter, and to help such families this scheme was launched on April 2016. The scheme is active even now.
Features of the scheme
These are the features of the scheme that were announced during the launch of the scheme
- As a part of this scheme economically weaker families of the state are provided financial help not in the form of cash amount but in the forms of things that required for the wedding. This would include utensils, clothes, ornaments, stove, LPG cylinder, pressure cooker, sewing machines and few other necessary things. Basically the family is given essential things of worth Rs.9000.
- The help is provided only to the families who are residents of the state and have a daughter who is 18 years or more than 18 years old. More importantly the family should be in a financial situation where they cannot afford marriage expenses.
- Apart from this the administration that is taken care of the marriage is provide Rs.1000 for marriage expenses. The department taking care of this scheme in the state level is the Social Justice Department and the district level it is the Collector of the area that takes care of the implementation.
- The applicant applying for this scheme has to fulfill also the eligibility criteria and also have to provide certain necessary documents to apply for the scheme. Only after proper verification will the aid be given to the applicant and his or her family.
- Under this scheme a local body of the district or village organizes a group marriage under which the marriages can be conducted. Assistance under this scheme is provided to the girls who agree to get married in the group marriage event that is being organized.
- The documents that are required for this scheme are scheme age proof of the girl, address proof of the applicant and income certificate of the family,
Recent developments on the scheme
Inclusion of widow re-marriage- In March 2016 has been announced that even widow re-marriage will be included in the scheme to benefit the young widows of the state. On the occasion of International Women’s Day, Bhopal Chief Minister Shivraj announced about this inclusion and said that his government supports and will promote widow re-marriage. A sanction of Rs.2 lakhs was also made for the same cause.
Providing cash to the beneficiaries- Originally the scheme did not provide any cash to the beneficiary for eh marriage. It only gave essential items worth of Rs.9000. Later the girls who got married under this scheme was given Rs.7000 two days after their marriage for buying household items.
But then now it has been announced that from the month of November of the year 2016 the girls who are a part of this scheme, will be given Rs.17000 each. This amount will be given to the girl on the day of her marriage, in the form of a cheque. This will include the Rs.7000 that was given earlier. Apart from this the girl is given Rs.5000 is given to the girl for buying necessary things for the marriage.
The administrating body that conducts the group marriage under this scheme is given Rs.3000 for each marriage instead of Rs.1000, which was done earlier. So now a girl in total gets Rs.25000 for her marriage under this scheme.
After the scheme was launched there was a lot of promotion activities that were conducted to tell the people of Madhya Pradesh that a scheme as such is being run and that the poor people could apply for it.
Eligibility criteria for the scheme
- The scheme is available only for the families who are resident of the state of Madhya Pradesh. The scheme is applicable only for the families that have a daughter who is 18 or more years and willing to get married.
- The economic condition of the families should be bad usually it will be in below poverty level, such that baring the cost of the marriage was not possible for the family.
- The benefits of the scheme can be availed for only two girls in the families citied in the state of Madhya Pradesh and for families who own more than 2 girl children can avail for their 2 girl child not more than that.
The problems that the scheme faced
Now there was quite some problems with the eligibility criteria that was announced by the government of Madhya Pradesh for this scheme. Few cases were noted where the girls were being forced for a re-marriage just to avail the benefits of the scheme. Apart from this a lot of cases were reported where it was seen that the applicant’s age was less than 18 and still the application was approved by the officials.
Another major problems that was seen due to the one of the eligibility criteria of the scheme wad that the only the first two girls of the families were being given preference as they were eligible for this scheme. But till now there have been no strong measure that have been taken to address these issues.
But over all this scheme is a beneficial scheme for the all the families of the state that cannot afford the marriage expenses of their daughter. Until now a lot of girls have been marriage under this scheme, and it comes as a great help for widows as well.