Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana in Odisha
Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana (BKKY) is the scheme introduced by the Orissa state government in the year 2013 for the farmer families. Under this scheme farmer families will get health and accident insurance through which the government will provide financial support to each family. The scheme was started by the Chief Minister of the state Shree Naveen Patnaik three years back in the year 2013. Many state hospitals, district hospitals and other government medical centres work under this scheme. The beneficiaries can go to these hospitals while having medical problems or accidental cases and get free of cost treatment.
- The scheme Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana is specially designed for the farmer families. Under this scheme the farmers will get financial supports from the government through health and accident insurance.
- It is considered as the major step towards the welfare of the farmers who are the backbones of any economy, especially like Orissa and other Indian state.
- The scheme was launched by the state of Orissa and is funded completely by the state government only. No central government intervention was there in the scheme.
- There are a number of insurance companies that operate under the scheme. That is farmers can avail the insurance coverage through these companies. These companies are: National Insurance, New India Insurance, Reliance General Insurance and IFFCO-TOKIO General Insurance companies are involved with this scheme.
- Under this scheme the farmers who are financially unstable and their families will be befitted. Nearly 60 Lakh farmers are covered under the BKKY scheme.
- Under this scheme there are several packages that are available for the farmers and their families. These packages contain various treatment procedure and their costs. The farmers can take up a package as per his medical requirement.
The main beneficiaries under the scheme are farmers and their families. According to the authority there will be two streams under the scheme, stream 1 and 2. In stream 1 there will be 25 Lakh beneficiaries to be covered and in the 2nd stream there will be 35 Lakh beneficiaries to be added. Total of 60 Lakh beneficiaries will be covered under the scheme and it may increase in future as well.
- Under this scheme the farmers who will be enrolled will get medical and accidental health insurance. With the aim of providing the cashless basis medical help to the farmers and their families.
- Farmers can get medical treatment like surgery, maternity care and new born care, accidental treatment and other medical helps in district hospitals and medical centres up to Rs. 30, 000/- per year. This figure is for each family. Also farmers can reimburse the treatment cost up to Rs. 30, 000/- per year for each farmer family.
- In stream 2, the limit of the financial benefit is Rs. 70, 000/- per year for each farmer family. This includes the surgical expenses, maternity and new born care and other medical expenses. This amount can also be reimbursed from the authority.
- There is also transportation allowance for the hospitalization. The cost is Rs. 100/- per hospitalisation. But it has upper limit and any farmer can take only up to Rs. 1000/- in a year.
- The scheme is only available for the farmers and their families. As per the authority the beneficiaries can grow more in future. As of now the targeted beneficiaries are only farmers and their families.
- In each farmer’s family, up to 5 people can get the benefits under the scheme. If the family size contains 5 people only then the entire family is eligible but families having more than 5 members can only apply for any 5 members under the scheme.
- The head of the family needs to be present during the registration. If the head of the family is absent for any reason then the spouse will be considered as the head of the family at that point.
- If the spouse is not alive or separated from the family then the head of the family can add any dependent in place of the spouse from the family. Except for this a beneficiary can add two more dependent as the family member.
There are several packages available under the scheme. The two most prominent packages are Stream 1 and Stream 2 under which the packages are available.
- Under this stream the packages contain treatment related to surgery, general and maternity benefits. It also includes the new born baby care as well. Up to Rs. 30, 000/- will be financed to each family for the one year.
- This Package includes registration, general ward bed, doctors, specialists, surgeons, anaesthetist, medicine, drugs, transportation cost up to Rs. 1000/- pr year, diagnosis charges like X-ray, blood tests and other screening, food and any other treatment related expenses.
Under this stream the family of the farmers will get up to Rs. 70, 000/- cashless medical assistance. They can also reimburse the expenses up to this mentioned amount. The packages here also include the same as the Stream 1. The beds they provide are in general ward. In special and emergency cases they provide ICU (intensive Care Unit) beds as well.
Implementation of the Scheme
State hospitals, nursing homes, community medical centres and employee state insurance scheme hospitals are eligible for the scheme. They all have to have some facilities in their hospital to facilitate the BKKY Scheme. The facilities are:
- All sorts of infrastructures to maintain cashless treatments, pharmacy, diagnostic units and other medical facilities linking with the cashless treatment of the beneficiaries.
- Telephone and Fax for better and smooth communication has to be present in all the hospitals, nursing homes and medical centres under this BKKY Scheme.
- All the equipments to maintain and record the necessary and important documents of the beneficiaries and their family members and also the insurer’s details must be recorded and maintained.
- If the medical centre of hospital is a private one then along with already mentioned facilities the private hospitals should have equipped operation theatre for the surgical treatment.
- At least 10 beds in general ward should be reserved for the patients under the BKKY scheme and also have to have qualified and trained doctors and nurses to take care of the patients.
- Private hospitals which are involved with this BKKY scheme will be required to be registered with the Income Tax department of India.
- All the hospitals and medical centres must install complete IT infrastructure, both hardware and software before commencement of the scheme in their organisation.
Refund of Premium
There is also a provision of refund system under this scheme. Say the premium of per year is Rs. 1000/-, after cutting off the admin cost of 20% i.e. Rs. 200/- the 800/- will be left. Now if the beneficiary needed only 600/- in a year then the left over Rs. 200/- will be refunded to the SNS. In the next year if the beneficiary requires Rs. 1100/-, then the rest 100/- will be financed by SNS, but if it is Rs. 1300/- then only 200/- will be covered.
Enrolment of the beneficiaries
Under the scheme the beneficiaries have to enrol their names through the insurance companies. The companies will verify the identification details of the beneficiaries through the FKO and then implement the process of insurance.
There will be Smart card issued by the insurance company to the beneficiaries as a proof of the registration under the scheme. This smart card will be the key to access the cashless treatment for the beneficiaries. The card can be renewed annually through the insurance company.
BKKY Scheme – Quick Glance
|Scheme||Biju Krushak Kalyan Yojana|
|Launched by||Naveen Patnaik|
|Concerned Government||Orissa state|
|Beneficiary||Farmers and their families|
|Aim||Health and accident insurance|
|Benefits||Cashless treatment, medical assistance|
|Amount of assistance||Up to 30, 000/- for Stream 1|
Up to 70, 000/- for Stream 2
|Number of beneficiaries||60 Lakh in total|
|Hospitals||State medical hospital, nursing homes and community medical centres, private hospitals|
- Indira Gandhi National Service Scheme Awards
- Ados Pados (Old Doordarshan TV Serial)
- Indian Railways Cashless Ticket Booking
- PM Awas Yojana Details
- PM Mudra Bank Details