No Government Jobs if you have more than 2 children in Assam
Looking at the current trend where population is increasing largely, Assam state government has published a new population policy. According to the new policy people with more than 2 children will not be eligible to get any government job under state government of Assam. Also the state has announced about free education for girls up to higher studies. This policy will be a sharp step towards controlling population as well as enhancing girls’ education in the state.
The New Population Policy
- According to the state health ministry of Assam, people who have more than 2 children will not be able to grab any level government jobs. This policy will be applicable in all the sections and designations under state government.
- Adding to this population policy, the state government also announced about providing free education for all the girl children across the state. This will encourage more education and fewer drop-outs from schools.
- Also the government is keen to stop child marriage that occurs in many parts of the state. The minimum age for marriage of a girl child is set at 18 years and for boys it is 21 years. However the state government is willing to increase the age limit for both the genders in future.
Need for New Population Policy
- According to the survey reports as the state is situated near Bangladesh, a large number of immigrants are found to be settled down in Assam. Consequently the rate of population has been increased sharply in past few years. In order to control the increasing trend of population state government has taken such drastic step.
- On the other in many districts on Assam it was found out that after 3rd or 4th standard or sometimes less than that, girl child is being dropped out from the school. This happens due to financial scarcity in the family.
- To prevent this issue and encourage education, the state government has said they will soon start free education for girls up to higher studies. This will be applicable for all the girls across the state of Assam.
- In a large part of the state, there are multiple cases of child marriage, women abuse, sexual harassment and such. All these have occurred and still occurring because of child marriages. To prevent such unpleasant cases and incidents, government has strictly set the minimum age for marriage.
Implementation of New Population Policy
According to the health ministry of Assam, the plan is drafted as of now. They have raised the issue in front of the court and jurisdiction is yet to publish the verdict. They also said they are not in hurry but they will try to implement the policy before 2021.